Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Red Feet.


Transforming an old Arubian house into a Montessori school is quite a task. As much as I have attempted to preserve ye old house because of its innate charm and old fashioned coziness, some painful sacrifices have had to be made. As of yesterday we're saying goodbye to the original salt and pepper/vanilla mint tiles that graced the floors. The job to restore them was, according to the professional strength Arubian tile cleaning crew, "e ta impossible" (requires no translation). We are replacing them with classic red terracotta tiles. Red floors remind me of being six years old and having red stained feet soles after playing on our porch after it had recently been waxed. I also remember my brother and sister and I would dare each other to taste the wax which looked surprisingly like mashed papaya.

No comments: