Monday, September 8, 2008

Individual Silence.


I am enamored with the idea of making our group silent sittings available to the children individually in the same style that our materials are for independent work. In a few weeks I will make it available to the children for choosing from the shelf. It consists of placing a special small rug and a tray with a one or three minute sand timer on it. The child may lay out the rug in a designated area of the classroom, take off his shoes and sit on the rug in the "silent sitting position" and turn the timer. No one is allowed to talk to or disturb the person that is doing the independent silent sitting. I think I'd love to use it during the day myself. Sometimes I hurry when I should just "be".

1 comment:

N from the Learning Ark said...

That's a lovely idea! We have a something similar but without a timer.