Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Out of all three, mental action is the most important.




I go back to the idea from Vipassana that of all three types of action (physical, verbal, mental), mental action is most important. I try during the day to stay close to my thoughts, noticing what I am thinking about a particular moment, or about a child during a particular moment. I notice my judgements, how easily I can start to label a child and how much that severs my efforts to guide. I notice my breath, and how feelings can suddenly well up when my attention was all over the place and nowhere really. I am guilty of sometimes being the last to find out that I said what I said, or did what I did because I was hungry or tired or irritated. I go back during the day, over and over again, to focus on how I am being instead of what I am doing. Staying at the root from where my words and actions will stem and hoping I can be supportive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your "being". We should put together "a meditation retreat for montessorians".
-Sheryl

Susanne said...

Hello Sheryl,

Count me in! If you are attending the 2013 Congress in Portland Oregon perhaps we could set up a one hour meditation as a rogue part of the program :) What do you think?