Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Most Important Thing


The majority of significant conversations in my life tend to occur while I'm driving. After school today, Sayenne came along with me to run errands far and wide across the island. "What do you think is the most important thing?" she asked, and promptly self-answered, "Because what I think is...". (This way of running a mono-conversation I think she has learned from the master, myself.)

I thought about a really fantastic passage in the book " The Art of Presence " by Eckhart Tolle, which I am currently "audio-reading". If everything in the world was the color blue, he explained, then we wouldn't really know that we're looking at blue. There has to be an element with which to compare in order for us to understand a concept. In the same way, the world around us is absolutely impermanent. Everything we know is transient. What then is the element that doesn't change? The thing that allows us to understand impermanence?

It lies beneath the mind, he says. It is the presence that is always there, regardless of the mental noise that covers it.

I thought of this presence and of a fundamental connection to all living beings, including plants and animals. Of the thing that survives us after our mind is gone and we continue to transfer into different states of matter. The awareness that in the end is the only thing that matters. Sayenne called it "love", I didn't know what to call it.

No comments: