Saturday, August 15, 2009

Projection for the school year ahead: “Smile, breathe and go slowly”


I took the afternoon off from the many tasks on the never ending "to do" list that eventually will merge with the beginning of the school year. There is a mistake I make often before the start of things. I develop such an intense sense of anticipation that I expect things to have reached a "complete" state before I feel I can begin. The classroom must have everything it needs for the year, all repairs completed, all the odds and ends tied up neatly, and a mad rush of productivity at the end of vacation. Life going by in a succession of checks on my list.

Instead, I got a hot stones massage (thank you Sayenne :) ) and listened to Thich Nhat Hanh on my mp3 player. During that blissful hour, I projected the feeling that I want to embrace throughout the year. These are words it has to do with: slow, presence, smiling, trees, breath, blue sky, joy, calm water, perspective.

The mad dash for the start is over.

“The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth, dwelling deeply in the present moment and feeling truly alive.” Thich Nhat Hanh

1 comment:

eyesonnature - Anja said...

Thank you Susanne, this is exactly what I needed to read, I have to find that book and read it. I am about to open my new Montessori preschool in the next couple of weeks. I am sure you will be familiar with the anticipation and enthusiasm that comes with that as it was only a year ago you went through the same. I am getting heaps of ideas and inspirations from your posts, thank you so much. - Anja